With the long weekend safely in sight there’s plenty of tine to put your baking skills to the test and what better reason to put on those pinnys than our very own ultimate Hot Cross Bun recipe courtesy of Exec Chef, Wayne Pike.
Hot cross bun recipe for 12 buns
500g strong white flour / or 500g self-raising gluten free flour
75g caster sugar
1 med orange just zest
10g fast action yeast
1tsp mixed spice
300ml whole milk
100g dried fruits (cherry, figs, sultanas, orange, apricot etc)
200 ml Guinness ( optional )
50g chopped peel
25g honey roast nuts crushed
2 tbsp. oil for greasing
100 ml water
2 tbsp. marmalade
1 tbsp. golden syrup
- Add flour, sugar, orange zest in a bowl and move to one side.
- Add yeast and salt to other half of the bowl
- Soak all the dried fruit in Guinness and leave to one side
- Melt butter in one pan and milk in another add the butter and half the milk into the dry mix and start to bring together use your hands and add the egg and the rest of the milk till you have a nice dough .
- Tip dough out onto a floured surface and start to knead when you start to do this then do this for 5 mins then slowly start to add the dried fruit and nuts to the dough mix continue to knead till all mixed in.
- Brush a bowl with oil and place the dough into the bowl then cover and place in a warm spot for 90 mins so the dough doubles in size.
- Tip out and divide into 12 balls around 110 g size and mould into balls place onto a baking sheet line with baking paper cover with loose cling film and prove for another 60 mins till they double in size.
- Heat oven to 190 degrees
- Take buns out and mix the flour and water together and pipe a cross on top of each bun and pop into the oven and bake for 15 mins till golden brown take out then in a pan add the golden syrup and marmalade and brush the tops either serve straight from the oven or cool and toast or you can freeze for a month.
For an extra filling soak some of the dried mixed fruit in some brandy and sugar and leave overnight then fold through some clotted cream delicious.